Facilitating Entering Research Workshop
February 13-14, 2020
June 4-5, 2020
University of Wisconsin - Madison
You are invited to reserve your spot at an upcoming Facilitating Entering Research Workshop
February 13 - 14, 2020
June 4 - 5, 2020
Facilitating Entering Research is a two-day “train-the-trainer” workshop for undergraduate and graduate research training program directors in STEMM. This workshop is offered by the Center for the Improvement of Mentored Experiences in Research (CIMER) and the Wisconsin Institute for Science Education and Community Engagement (WISCIENCE).
Workshop participants learn to facilitate Entering Research activities, develop a custom curriculum for their research trainees, and create a plan to implement the custom curriculum at their institution or organization. The Entering Research curriculum supports research trainee development in seven areas: research comprehension and communication skills; practical research skills; research ethics; researcher identity; researcher confidence and independence; equity and inclusion awareness and skills; and professional and career development skills.
1. Undergraduate or graduate research training program directors, faculty, post-doctoral fellows, instructors, staff members, or administrators.
2. Committed to implementing Entering Research courses, seminars, or workshops for undergraduate or graduate research trainees at their institution or organization within the next calendar year.
· Registration is limited to 32 participants. We highly encourage teams of two or more people from an institution or organization to attend together. Each individual must complete the "Reserve Your Spot" form and will be invited to register separately.
· Registration is $995 and includes workshop materials, a copy of the Entering Research book plus breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack.
· Participants are responsible for funding their own travel and lodging.
Step 1: Reserve a Spot. To reserve your spot for an upcoming training please complete our brief 5-10 minute Google Form. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Register early to get your first choice of workshop date. You will need to upload a professional photo or headshot as well as a brief bio (max 250 words) describing your position and interest in facilitating research training. This information will be shared with other workshop participants during the training.
Step 2: Pay Fee to Confirm Registration. Once you have completed the Google Form to reserve your spot, you will be notified by Julia Vander Meer, CIMER Program Manager, within two weeks about space availability. If space is available, you will be invited to pay the $995 registration fee and make travel arrangements. The payment site for the February workshop will be available beginning November 2019. Payment for the June workshop will be available beginning March 2020. Your registration will only be complete and your spot confirmed when we receive the registration fee payment. If space is not available, you will be placed on a waiting list.
If you have questions, please contact Julia Vander Meer, CIMER Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assistant Professor, Department of Kinesiology, School of Education
Faculty Director, WISCIENCE
University of Wisconsin-Madison